1. You read this article “Walk Like A Penguin” for serious tips and your first thought ISN’T “Wow, the writers at The Onion are getting funnier.”
2. Your pep talk to your daughter: “Yes, I know it’s cold and dark but you love going to school PLUS the days are getting lighter and spring is coming and pretty soon you won’t need to dress like a snowman. We are going to love living here.” is made null and void by promptly bursting into tears at your husband’s announcement it’s -32 and the temperature is expected to continue to drop.
3. It’s perfectly acceptable to compare your dry irritated skin with strangers in the drugstore. “Do you have dry, itchy, irritated skin AND it’s bleeding?” For the record, 4 out of 5 strangers recommend Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair for your northern winter skin needs.
4. You are pleased to observe you can cancel your facial microdermabrasion appointment as the bitter wind has peeled all the skin off your face. Winning!
6. “Your blue feet perfectly match your beautiful eyes” is a compliment you’ll cherish for days.
7. You are amused to observe that it’s so cold the gangsters have pulled up their pants.
8. You have legitimate reasons for spending hours on Etsy looking for a super cute toque and scarf.
9. Staying inside for days on end & shuffling around the house like a recluse? Simply character development for the book you’ve always wanted to write – no need to worry.
10. You continue to invent new and exciting breakfast recipes that will support the Canadian Wheat Board. Patriotism at its finest!